Sunday, July 31, 2011

Purse Creation

In my last post I took a basic sewing class, which taught me, literally, the basics of sewing.
I went back last weekend to experience a new class "making hipster bags", where I was successful! I spent an hour before class started walking around trying to find a fabric I could commit to. The outer fabric was a little easier to find than the lining. For the lining I chose a solid blue, which turned out to be difficult to match with the navy blue design on the outside while still staying in my price range. After an hour of browsing I opted for my navy blue design (outer fabric), solid blue (lining fabric), a large red button (to close my purse), and red thread to stitch with for added color.

Once class started I realized I was the only student, YES! This meant one-on-one for me, which I was very excited about. We began by cutting out a pattern to use- a variety of rectangles, with different widths and lengths.
Steps:
1. Assembled the strap.
2. Attached the interfacing to the outside fabric.
3. Put together the outside fabric of the purse.
4. Created the inside pockets and attached them to the still separated inner lining.
5. Attached the pieces of lining together.
6. Sewed the button by hand to the outside of the purse.
7. Attached the loop that closes the purse and the strap to the inside of the outer fabric.
8. Stuffed the unfinished outside of the the purse into the lining and sewed them together.
9. Pulled the purse through and finally, created one more decorative stitch to reinforce all the making of the purse!

DONE! 3 hours later!


This weekend, I am looking forward to getting my own sewing machine. I am excited to see what, and IF, I can create on my own and share!

1 comment: